Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The "Warhorse" Making a Comeback

Christian "Warhorse" Phelps. Photo by Sierra Concha '13. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

The "Warhorse" Making a Comeback
By Sierra Concha '13

Star Running Back Christian “The Warhorse” Phelps received the worst possible news on a bitter cold day during the Red Cloud vs. Pine Ridge Football game last fall. During the first play of the game, multiple players hit him and his right fibula broke. Players nearby such as David Ledeaux heard a loud pop as Christian fell to the ground. In response to the tragic news, Christian said, “I was devastated. I never had an injury all throughout high school, and to have this happen my senior year was terrible.”

His main sport is basketball, and this meant he would be forced to sit out most of the season.  He took physical therapy and worked out as much as he could during basketball practices. Each day his leg is healing, and he continues to gradually get more playing time in the recent games. However, he doesn’t believe he’ll be able to play to his full potential this year. “At the beginning of the season I believed I could, but now that the season is starting to wind down, I just want to help my team as much as I can, and I’m going to be focusing on track soon,” he said.

Last year his relay team for the 4x4 broke the school record, and he plans on being his best during track season. Hearing news that would ruin a senior athlete’s basketball career could wreck their dreams, but Christian has overcome this obstacle with a positive attitude and motivation to stay in sports. We expect to see his name heard more in the upcoming basketball games and track meets.

No comments:

Post a Comment