Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Day In the Life of Meagan McMahon

Meagan. Photo by Savannah Jensen '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
A Day In the Life of Meagan McMahon
By Savannah Jensen '14

Meagan McMahon is the Current Events, World History, and World Geography teacher in the social studies department. She is a very humble, kind, and amazing person. Her personal qualities reflect in her teaching and it creates a very “enjoyable learning experience” as one senior states. Meagan is from Akron, Ohio. Now she is a volunteer for for Red Cloud High School on the Pine Ridge Reservation is South Dakota. Meagan answers a few questions about her journey to Red Cloud and her experience.

Describe your journey to Red Cloud and your transition.

MM: I found out about Red Cloud through Creighton University’s Magis Catholic Teacher Corps. My senior year of college, I was looking for programs that would enable me to teach while pursuing a Masters of Education and I found Magis through my research. I applied, was accepted and then they recommended I interview with Red Cloud as a placement option. I had never heard about Red Cloud or even about Pine Ridge until that moment, but I thought “why not?” and set up an interview. The interview process was a whirlwind and before I knew it, I was offered the freshman social studies position, and something about it just felt right. I had never considered moving to South Dakota, but it was the path that God opened for me, and I believe this is where he wants me now. That certainty made the transition easier. Even when I was homesick, or feeling overwhelmed by my workload, I could go back to that feeling of “this is what I’m supposed to be doing” and be comforted. The transition was difficult- I am very close to my family and it is hard being so far away from them. Being here for a second year has made that a lot easier though. I’ve started to create a new family here with the other volunteers and the school community and as a result, South Dakota has started to feel like “home” too.


What do you do now and how do you feel about it?

MM: I work in the social studies department in the high school teaching primarily freshman. I love teaching them World History and Geography. People might give freshmen a hard time, but I think it’s actually a really fun age to work with. I love watching how they mature and come together as a class as the year progresses. Having the opportunity to share subject matter that I’ve always enjoyed is another blessing of my job. In addition to my freshman classes, I also teach a Current Events class for upperclassmen. This class can be a lot of fun too. It allows me to watch students take an interest in the world and develop informed opinions. Based on what I’ve seen, I am very excited for their futures!

How much time do spend in the classroom outside of teaching? What was your favorite memory in class teaching?

MM: I spend a lot of time in the classroom before/after the school day- though not as much as I did my first year! On any given night, I might have 1-3 hours of prep work to do to get ready for the next day. And then I usually spend a good 5-10 hours on the weekend doing grading or prep work as well.

My favorite moments in the classroom are whenever someone gets really excited or passionate about what we are learning. Or whenever something clicks for someone who has been struggling. Those moments are awesome and make all of the work I do feel worth it.

What do you do on weekends? When was the most memorable time?

MM: Weekends are grading time for me and planning for the upcoming week. That can take up quite a bit of time, but I also make time for fun things so that I can recharge before returning to school. I love sleeping in, so I generally try to do that either Saturday or Sunday. My housemates and I also like to watch movies, go on hikes, or make trips to Rapid, Chadron, or Hot Springs. One of the most memorable weekends was at the start of the year when a group of volunteers headed to a lake in Hot Springs for a day of relaxing and fun. It was a beautiful, hot day, and the chance to unwind and go swimming just made for an awesome weekend.

Who is your hero?

I’m going to cheat and say two, my parents, Dan and Nancy, are my heroes. They have both worked so hard and sacrificed a lot for our family. They have taught me what it means to be caring, responsible, and selfless. By their words and actions they have shown me the importance of faith and of always seeking to learn and grow as a person. They have also shown me, through their love for one another, how love is not just a feeling, but it is about the choices and actions of everyday life. I am so blessed to have been raised by them, and I know I will carry with me the lessons they have taught me throughout the rest of my life.

If you could change one thing about Red Cloud what would it be?    

MM: It would be closer to Ohio and to the rest of my family! More seriously though, I would improve the financial situation of the school to make it less dependent upon the volunteer program. The high teacher turnover rate experienced each year at Red Cloud is not ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment