Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Teacher Profile: Clare Huerter

Clare. Photo by Kirkland Ross '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Teacher Profile: Clare Huerter
By Kirkland Ross ‘14

She teaches seniors and freshmen, has fought a gorilla, and submerged a fleet of Russian warships. 

Clare Huerter is an English teacher at Red Cloud High School. This is her second year teaching at Red Cloud. She teaches Freshman English, Literature of Film, World Literature, and Composition IV.  Huerter was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska. She attended high school at Mercy High School and graduated in 2007. Huerter then continued her education at the College of St. Mary and received her received her degree in English with minors in Theology and Secondary Education. Now she attends Creighton and is a part of the Magis Catholic Teacher Corps. She was given the choice of three schools to teach at: one in Omaha, one on the Winnebago Indian Reservation, and Red Cloud Indian School. 

“I don’t know what is was,” Huerter said. “I just wanted to come to Red Cloud.” Red Cloud has become Huerter’s home away from home. “Red Cloud to me is love and growth,” says Huerter. “All the hard work is worth it.”

Clare has two senior classes this semester and wants the best for her students and all the other students in the senior class. “Listen to all of your teachers. They have been through the things they are putting your through,” Huerter advises. “Also, when things get stressful and you’re feeling low, always ask yourself,  ‘Will this matter in five years?’ because your time is precious and you should not be brought down with pettiness and drama.”

Huerter has always wanted to become a teacher since she was in the second grade. Her second grade teacher, Miss Moore, inspired her to be who she is today. “I was unorganized and never did my homework. I never got school,” declared Huerter. “Miss Moore talked to me after school and helped me organize my desk. Miss Moore made me realize that I can be and do anything, and I want to do that for my students.”

No comments:

Post a Comment