Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Badlands Camping Trip

Students gearing up for the Badlands. Photos courtesy of Kristian Big Crow '14 and Shawnta' Jones '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

Badlands Camping Trip 
By Jin Yup Jung '14

                                               
On Sunday March 16th, several Red Cloud students cruised to the Badlands National Park for a trip with History Teacher Matt Campbell. They were also accompanied by students from New York. I had early interviews with Kristian Big Crow and Hoksila Briseno, who attended the trip.

“The trip was all around amazing,” Kristian said. Kristian also went on the trip last year.  “Being able to come back to the same trip was a relief since I knew vaguely what to expect.” 

The trip wasn’t always fun as Kristian expected because there were some obstacles in his way. “The biggest obstacles I suppose I faced, and I could probably speak for the other Red Cloud students too, was trying to get outside my comfort zone and interact with the New York students on a deeper level than just first names,” Kristian said. 

 Kristian continued, "One of my favorite memories was going out at 11:00 at night and discovering a cave/cavern and crawling inside it. We all trusted each other and any time anyone needed assistance, everyone was there to help. It was sad on the last day when we had to leave since we didn’t want to walk away. We all ended up hugging all the New York students three times each. I enjoyed this year a little more than my first visit and sure hope it isn’t going to be my last."

“The camp was great," added Hoksila. "I had a good time. We hiked all over the park and climbed up very tall mountains and saw how beautiful the Badlands were during the sunrise and sunset. We also told the New Yorkers our stories of ghost, spirits, and how we were told where the Lakota came from. I loved the camp mainly because I got to travel safely with others and hike out to some far away rocks and also to meet really great people that are really amazing. I hope that I can go back next year again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment