Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Five Red Cloud Students Earn Gates Scholarship

Five Red Cloud Gates Scholars. Photo courtesy of Red Cloud Indian School. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Five Red Cloud Students Earn Gates Scholarship
By Jin Yup Jung '14  

Ryan Hussman. Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Ryan Hussman
Q. What do you want to study/major in?  
A. Business

Q. What’s your dream?
A. To come back to the reservation and create business and to run the family's ranch.

Q  What’s your favorite subject? 
A.  Favorite subject is US History and Entrepreneurship.

Q. Winning this changes your future how?  
A. It let's me explore my options for colleges without the stress my finances and of course letting me graduate from college debt free .


Colton Sierra. Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud School.
Colton Sierra
Q. How do you feel about to be chosen as a Gate scholar?
A. Receiving this scholarship means a lot to me. It takes care of college payments for me so I can focus on the classes more

Q. What do you want to study/major in?
A. I want to go into business management to try and come back and help out the economy of the reservation.
Q. Winning this changes your future how?
A. Winning this award means that I won't have to struggle with money.

Q. What strategy are you gonna use to maintain your GPA  in college?
My strategy to maintain a good GPA is to be present in every class, take good notes, meet with my professors, and remind myself of my goal everyday.

Q. What’s your plan for summer?
My plan for the summer is to find a job and get some money to buy things both for my dorm room and my car. Oh and play golf.

Caine Ghost Bear. Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Caine Ghost Bear
Q. Where do you plan on studying?
Metropolitan State University of Denver- double major in Nursing and Athletic Training.

Q.  What’s your favorite subject?
Math.
Q. Winning this changes your future how?
That I'm not another negative statistic on the reservation and show people success does come from the rez and anyone can pursue their aspirations.
Q. How do you feel that you are chosen as a Gates scholar?
In all honesty it still hasn't hit me but I'm jovial and honored to be a Gates scholar.
Q. What strategy are you gonna use to maintain your GPA in college?
Definitely study groups in my student loft along with tutors, especially in my English class.

Kristian Big Crow. Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

Kristian Big Crow

Q. What’s your dream? what do you want to become in the future?
A. I want to be an engineer. I also want to go into business and start my own company.

Q. Where do you plan on studying?
 A. Right now my plan is to study at Creighton University.
Q. What’s your favorite subject?
A. Fave subject in school would be Accounting or chemistry II.

Q. Winning this changes your future how?
 A. Winning this scholarship could mean the whole world for me by shaping the next step I take towards my future, which could be me going towards the road with books or the road with a rifle.

Q. What strategy are you gonna use to maintain your GPA  in college?
 A. Strategy would be the motivation to prove the people wrong who believe that I wont be cut out for it.

Q. How do you feel that you were chosen to be a Gates scholar?
 A. I was surprised. I thought I wasn't chosen and was accepting the fact that the army was my next step towards my future, But then Robin congratulated  me on getting it, which confused me since I didn't hear back yet. But then she showed me the email and I was taken away and at a loss for words.
 

Genriel Ribitsch (with Ryan Hussman). Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

Genriel Ribitsch

Q. How do you feel that you were chosen to be a Gates scholar?
A. I feel amazing. I knew it was really difficult competition, but after I realized I was chosen to be a Gates scholar, I could be relieved from all stress

Q. What do you want to study/major in?
A. Undecided, but I want to study Pre-med and Business.

Q. What’s your dream? What do you want to become in the future?
A. I want to become a surgeon so I can help people who are in need.

Q. What’s your favorite subject? 
A. Anatomy and Entrepreneurship/accounting.

Q. Winning this changes your future how?
A. Winning the award made my future more clear now. I solved my financial problem so I actually can study what I want without any worry.

Q. What strategy are you gonna use to maintain your GPA in college?
A. I’m going to get my work done before I do something and try to connect with professors so I can do well on my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment