Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope Primus I: Amanda Standing Bear

Amanda Standing Bear '13. Photo by Sierra Concha '13. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
  
Pope Primus I: Amanda Standing Bear
By Sierra Concha '13

Amanda Standing Bear, who prefers to be called “Pope Primus I,” is the most engaged student in the Catholic church at Red Cloud High School. A new pope was announced yesterday afternoon to replace Benedict Ratzinger, and Amanda had a few words on the subject, “(He) knew what he was doing when he resigned,” she said. “It opened up the Papacy for the reign of Pope Primus I, a.k.a ME”.

The Catholic church and the job of a pope has always interested Amanda Standing Bear. It is her dream to someday be the Pope, and the newly named Pope is only temporary. “I received the call at noon-ish Wednesday, March 13, 2013,” exclaimed Pope Primus l. “But since I cannot be there, I told them that someone should hold my place until graduation. After graduation, I shall return to Rome to take my rightful place...leader of the Catholic Church.”

Her dream wasn’t so out of reach after all. She always knew she’d be the leader she aimed to be. “I know I’m qualified to be the Pope. It happens when you’re destined for greatness.” Amanda Standing Bear is an incredible student, and she is perfectly fine with the choice of her temporary place holder.

(The new Pope, Jorge Bergoglio, was announced yesterday and is from Buenos Aires. He’s the first Jesuit and Latin American Pope in modern times. This is a historical event, and people from across the globe are pleased with the choice).

Former Red Cloud teacher Paddy Gilger SJ wrote a post about the new Pope on his website The Jesuit Post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment