Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Red Cloud at Badlands National Youth Park

Kristian Big Crow '14 and Harlen Standing Bear '13. Photo courtesy of Red Cloud Indian School. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

Red Cloud at Badlands National Youth Park
By Phillip Zimiga ‘13

Last week, students at Red Cloud High School went to an annual youth camp in the Badlands National Park.


Harlen Standing Bear, Kristian Big Crow, Daniel Kills Small, Cody Janis, Floyd Brings Plenty and Spiritual Formation teacher Russ Cournoyer spent a week in the Badlands, along with students from The Calhoun School in New York.


Kristian Big Crow describes the trip:

"It was a great bonding experience. It helped open my eyes to the beauty of all that was around me. Seeing the amazement and interest in the New York students, it helped show that I take things around me for granted. I found them completely wrapped around the information they were given. They were wanting the knowledge they were given. It made me feel grateful for knowing that I know the knowledge already and had my whole life to learn compared to just a week that they had. We hiked in a few different places. Each time the terrain changed. We spent hours walking the land and taking in the beauty around us. We even spent time inside the main building of the national park since the weather wasn't being fair. It was literally a night at the museum. I was able to even share scary stories with the New Yorkers on the first night. But I personally feel like I made good connections with my new friends. I wouldn't have given that week up for anything."

For more information on the trip, read this article from Red Cloud's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment