Total Pageviews

Friday, February 14, 2014

Q & A with the Six Horatio Alger Scholars

Q & A with the Six Horatio Alger Scholars
By Shawnta` Jones ‘14


Carrie Beard 

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I feel very accomplished and proud of myself. At first, my initial reaction was to scream and I had a lot of disbelief. Then I realized it was real so I am humbled. This makes me motivated.

What is your favorite season? My favorite season is Fall. I love the warm colors, leaves falling, and my birthday is in the Fall.

What is your favorite candy? My favorite chocolate bar is Twing Bing.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I see myself starting to make my own life and keeping a balanced life. Hopefully, I already acquired my Master's degree in Chem, I have a great job, my health is fine, I am financially stable, and figuring out marriage and children.

Where do you plan on studying? I plan on majoring in Chemistry at Creighton University.

What is your favorite color? My favorite color is blue. It’s the color of the sky!



Jenny Brave Heart

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I feel pretty happy and relieved about receiving this scholarship because I know it will help me a lot.

What is your favorite subject? My favorite subject would have to be Chemistry or Physics.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In ten years I would like to be pursuing my Ph.D in astronautical engineering or astrophysics.

What is your favorite movie? Lilo and Stitch

What is your favorite color? My favorite color is pink!

What do you plan on studying? I plan on going to college for Physics.


Caine Ghost Bear

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I feel like a big relief came off my chest. Also, I feel happy knowing hard work in school pays off.

What is your favorite subject in school? I love Math.

Where do you plan on studying? I really want to get accepted into UConn. If I do, I will study Nursing there.

What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Sixteen Candles.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I see myself working in a Denver Hospital.

What is your favorite candy? Candy Cigarettes.


Shawnta` Jones

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I am completely honored. I am honestly very proud of myself. At first I was shocked because I didn’t actually think I was going to get this scholarship. Then once I read the email, I felt super excited and happy.

What is your favorite color? Light purple for sure.

Where do you plan on studying? I plan to major in Criminal Justice at my dream college, ASU.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I plan to be finished with college and to uphold a great career that I enjoy. I also hope to be living a happy life, hopefully starting my own family with a great husband. Lastly, I see myself being on my 14th year of Sundancing.

What is your favorite candy? SNICKERS!

What is your favorite subject? I love Chemistry.


Genriel Ribitsch

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I feel very excited and wasn’t sure if it was real.

What is your favorite season? I love summer.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I will be a doctor or starting a business.

What is your favorite TV show? Smallville

Where do you plan on studying? I plan to go to KU or Notre Dame.

What is your favorite color? Orange.


Gabby Rodriguez

How do you feel about receiving the Horatio Alger? I feel very grateful for being awarded the scholarship. It makes me feel like although I have had many twists and turns and have had challenges thrown at me. They were all put in my path to help me grow.

What do you plan on studying? Anatomy and Physiology. I haven't decided what college yet but it is between the University of North Dakota and Creighton University.

What is your favorite candy? I love Lemon drops. They're my addiction.

What is your favorite movie? The Expendables

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I see myself working as a physical therapist, and then spending my weekends during the summer traveling to powwows.

What is your favorite season? Spring, because of track season.


Check out the official list of South Dakota winners. 

Here is Red Cloud's article on these students.

Here is an article (with audio) from South Dakota Public Broadcasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment