Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Red Cloud Monster Invitational

Santana dominating the mat. Photo by Jin Yup Jung '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
                 Red Cloud Monster Invitational
                                                        By Jin Yup Jung ‘14

The Red Cloud Wrestling Team did a great job by earning some places in the Red Cloud Wrestling Invitational last Saturday. Unfortunately, no one placed first, but most of first year wrestlers placed and did their best.

Santana Red Feather placed second, Miranda O’Donnell placed third, Pedro Martinez placed fourth, Morgan Starr placed fourth, and Josh Twiss placed fourth.

Our hero senior Santana Red Feather placed second. This is the first year for Red Feather in wrestling. Red Feather worked hard every day and every moment during practices. Finally, his hard work paid off in the Red Cloud Wrestling Invitational. 

“It was challenging. I had to face two wrestlers I had wrestled earlier in the season,” Red Feather said. “But one of the more tougher challenges was beating the wrestler from Todd County, who had beat me in the tournament in Martin the night before the Red Cloud Tournament. The wrestler from Hay Springs who had beaten me had more wrestling experience under his belt so the loss came as no surprise.”

Red Feather is the highest achieving member of the team. “I know that by continuing my training and putting forth my best effort, qualifying for the State is on the horizon,” Red Feather said.

Senior Pedro Martinez had his toughest match in this season. Martinez had to wrestle against Steven Horrocks from Hay Springs, who placed third in the state of Nebraska last year. “I think I did pretty well in all my matches since I managed to survive more than ten seconds against the guy from Hay Springs who placed third in Nebraska. I gave it my all, and I am pretty proud of how I did in this Red Cloud Tournament," stated Martinez. 

Junior Yoshiki Ueda said, “Since I was the second lightest wrestler on my team, I had to wrestle right after Miranda O’Donnell finished her match. I just wanted to encourage my team, so I wrestled as best as I could. For the regionals, I’m trying to gain my weight to wrestle at 138 lbs. and to become much stronger than I am. I know that 138 lbs. is an extremely tough weight class among the 13 weight classes, so I have been and will keep working hard everyday to qualify for the state.”    

Coach Clay Leonard said the Tournament went well. “I was happy that five people placed. The highlight was Red Feather beating someone who he lost to just the night before. Now we are on track to be at our best at the end of the season." 

Also, I want to thank every staff member who was at the tournament to help our wrestlers. 

Congratulations to all our wrestlers. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment