Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sitting in with the Scientist: Wendell Gehman

Wendell with his trusty cup of joe. Photo by Shawnta' Jones '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Sitting in with the Scientist: Wendell Gehman
By Shawnta’ Jones ‘14

This mad scientist is a 46 year old man who is extremely bald, once dissolved a hole through his shirt with acid, and never wears the same tie twice in one week. He has worked at Red Cloud High School for 18 years and completely loves it.

Meet Wendell Gehman. He started working at Red Cloud during the fall of 1996-1997. He lives one mile north of Hot Springs and travels 65 miles every day to teach his science classes. Gehman was born in Georgia and was raised the majority of his life in Pennsylvania.

He graduated from Messiah College at Harrisburg with a Bachelor's of Science in Biology and also received his Master's degree in Biology from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania. He took his knowledge to teach a biology class at Bermudian Springs High School in York Springs, PA and eventually started teaching science classes here at Red Cloud.

“I decided to come to Red Cloud because I feel like this is where God wants me to be,” Gehman said.

“Wendell is a great teacher and a great man!” exclaimed senior Colton Sierra.

Gehman wants one of his students to be able to come back to Red Cloud and take his job.

“My biggest goal in the classroom is that I want my students to realize how smart they actually are,” enthused Gehman. “They are capable of much greater things, and I want them to be prepared for when they go off to college.”

“My greatest fear in life is losing my hair!” joked Gehman. “Actually, it is not being able to help kids achieve what they are capable of doing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment