Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Super Senior? Jin Says Yup

Jin Yup, master journalist. Photo by Colton Sierra '14. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.
Super Senior? Jin Says Yup
By Colton Sierra ‘14

Q: How does it feel being here for your third consecutive year?
A: It actually feels great for me to come back to Red Cloud. I know I was supposed to graduate last year, but I wanted to spend one more year in high school to be prepared well before I go to college. I’m so honored I’m the only exchange student who has attended Red Cloud for three years.

Q: What is your favorite aspect of Red Cloud?
A: My favorite aspect of Red Cloud is the Lakota culture. Before I came to U.S. honestly, I really did not know about Native Americans. I’m so glad that I have the chance to learn about Lakota culture and its beliefs.

Q: Yuichi, Tomoaki, or Yoshiki. Which one was your favorite?
A: They are all great friends to me, so it’s hard for me to choose only one.

Q: How’s life with Clay been? Has he influenced you in your life? If so, how?
A: It’s been great, I think. I respect Clay- the way he works hard every day, and he is a great wrestling coach at Red Cloud.

Q: Have you gotten accepted to any colleges? Which ones? Which college is your first choice?
A: I got accepted to University of Nebraska-Lincoln (with $9000 scholarships per year), University of South Dakota, Northern State University, and Chadron State College. Recently, I also applied to University of Mass- Amherst, Indiana University, and South Dakota State University. But I haven’t decided yet which college I will go to. My first choice college is UMass-Amherst.

Q: How’s the wrestling team this year?
A: Honestly, 70% of the current wrestlers are first year wrestlers and the rest of them are second and third year wrestlers. Sometimes, I see them having some struggles during practice and tournaments. I know how it is difficult for them to overcome their limits in wrestling because I was one of them too. However, I believe if they continue working hard on it, they will definitely deserve their wins at regionals. As a coach, I always try to help them out as best as I can. I do really hope that my qualifying for State Wrestling last year could inspire them to listen to me about my experiences and knowledge of wrestling and hope it works for them at Regionals.

Q: What are your plans for the next ten years?
A: There is no specific plan for the next ten years. But as of now, I’m going to college in U.S. and major in Business Management. I will find what I want to do for the future and decide whether I will marry an American girl or a Korean girl while I’m in college.

Q: What’s your favorite color?
A: Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment