Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Red Cloud Students Perform Poetry in Rapid

Red Cloud students reading their poetry. Photo courtesy of the Rapid City Journal.

Red Cloud Students Perform Poetry in Rapid
By Marco Starr '14

Stage fright set in as a Red Cloud freshman got ready to perform her poetry in front of a crowd in Rapid City. A group of three RCHS students went on a journey to Rapid City on Friday, November 1st to read their poetry. Chantel Roubideaux '14, Austin Big Crow '15, and Savannah Jacobs '17 attended the NIEA Convention held in the Rapid City Civic Center. These three students also went to the Crazy Horse Memorial Monument and Central High School in Rapid City. 

“I have stage fright and it was pretty hard for me to get up there and perform,” Jacobs stated.  “As I got up there and performed, I felt this rush.” Jacobs continued, “When I’m up there performing, I feel like I'm making a difference and I’m also having fun at the same time.”

Growing up, Savannah Jacobs started to write poetry. “This was a way to let out my feelings and be myself without judgment and help speak for anyone who doesn’t have the courage to speak.” 

Jacobs has some interesting advice on writing poetry. "Just be yourself and have fun writing poems," she said. "Not all poems have to rhyme. Anyone can pick up a pencil and start writing poetry.” 

You can read more about this event in the Rapid City Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment