Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Savannah Jensen: The Ultimate Lakota Student-Athlete


Savannah Jensen '14. Photo by Sierra Concha '13. Copyright Red Cloud Indian School.

Savannah Jensen: The Ultimate Lakota Student-Athlete
 By Sierra Concha '13

“My culture is my ultimate guidance” -- Savannah Jensen ‘14

Savannah Jensen is a 5'9'' basketball player as well as a runner and the top-ranked student in her class. Her genuine smile is always showing, and she is more focused than ever on her academics due to her senior year approaching. “Right now I’m working hard so I have a bunch of opportunities and more of a chance of getting into the colleges I want,” she said. She is ambitious and intelligent, and no one has any doubt in her as she pursues her goals. “I like helping people without getting anything back, which is why I want to be a doctor,” Savannah said.

She says her hobbies are mainly sports and schoolwork, but once she has time to herself she finds herself lost in literature. Reading is what she loves to do most. “I love to read,” she said. “I can just go home, get my homework done and finish my chores, then turn on my lamp and just read until I fall asleep.” She is a well-rounded and talented student, but she doesn’t give herself all the credit, “My culture is within everything- my sports and school so it makes everything better. I also have my family,” she said.

She believes being Lakota has helped her in many ways throughout her life. She plans on keeping her culture and traditions close to her heart as she continues on her path to success. Being Lakota is who she is, and she makes sure her culture is intertwined within all her activities. High school is just the beginning for her, and she plans on achieving great things after she graduates in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment